What can I do with Kaltura?
Both you and your students have full access to Kaltura, so you can use it to create audio and video clips to share with your students, plus you can have your students use it to create media as part of an assignment.
How does Kaltura work?
Kaltura is integrated with Brightspace. You can access it in any course by clicking the Tools link on the Course Navbar and selecting My Media. Also, you can log in to your Kaltura account at video.maine.edu using your maine.edu credentials.
Kaltura has three main components that you can use to add audio and video to your Brightspace course.
- My Media allows you to access, add, edit, and share media in your Kaltura account. Also, if you’ve already created video or audio files for your students, you can upload them to My Media for easier sharing within your courses.
- Kaltura Personal Capture is Kaltura’s desktop recorder. It allows you to record new audio and video files from your computer and/or capture documents or websites open on your desktop.
- Media Gallery allows you to organize all of the media for a single course on one page.
How do I start using Kaltura?
These tutorials cover the basics of accessing Kaltura and creating, adding, and sharing media in your Brightspace courses and other parts of the web.
From Within a Course
- Click the Tools link in the Navbar.
- Select My Media.
From the Campus or UMS Landing Page
- Click the My Media link in the Navbar.
From the UMS Video Website.
- Go to the UMS Video Website.
- If you see the word Guest in the upper-right corner of the screen, click it and select Login, and log in with you maine.edu username and password.
- If you see your name in the upper-right corner of the screen, click it and select My Media.
Adding Media to Kaltura
If you have media files on your computer, you can upload them to Kaltura, or you can use it to record new video or audio. To get started with either task, go to Kaltura’s My Media tool.
- Click the Add New button on the My Media page. Its dropdown menu will open.
- Select one of these options:
- Media Upload: Add media files to Kaltura (i.e., ones you have saved on your computer).
- Kaltura Personal Capture: Create new video or audio files using CaptureSpace. Once you’ve finished creating new media, Kaltura will upload it directly to your My Media account.
Install Kaltura Personal Capture
Kaltura Personal Capture is Kaltura’s application for recording video or audio. To install it,
- Go to Kaltura’s My Media tool.
- Click the Add New button.
- Select Kaltura Personal Capture from the dropdown menu.
If Kaltura Personal Capture has not already been set up on your computer, you’ll automatically be taken to a page to download and install it. Once you’ve installed Kaltura Personal Capture, it’ll open automatically whenever you select it in the Add New menu’s options.
Creating Your First Recording
This short video from Kaltura walks you through the basics of recording a video using Kaltura Personal Capture and uploading it to the My Media tool.
If you want to create a podcast (i.e., an audio recording) instead of a video or screencast, the process is nearly the same. Simply turn off your camera and the screen recording options when Kaltura Personal Capture launches.
You can view this video and many others on the Kaltura Learning website.
Adding Video and Audio to your Course
This video demonstrates how to add media to your Brightspace course. It shows several methods, including embedding YouTube videos, and how to add video and audio you’ve added to Kaltura’s My Media tool.
Embed Kaltura Media on the Web
Kaltura provides you with unique HTML code (called an “embed code”) for each of your media files, which allows you to embed it in other parts of the web, like Google Sites, webpages, social media posts, etc. To find the embed code for one of your media files in Kaltura,
- Go to My Media. You can access it through a link on your Blackboard home page (the system homepage, not your course homepage) or at video.maine.edu.
- Click the thumbnail of the video you would like to embed. The video’s information page will open.
- Click the Share tab. It’s below the video, so you might need to scroll to the bottom of the page to find it. (If your browser window is small, the tabs will instead appear in a dropdown menu under the “Details” button.)
- Copy the text that appears in the “Embed” textbox. This is your embed code; it starts and ends with “iframe”.
- Paste the embed code into the new site where you want your media to be viewable.
Want to turn your Kaltura video into an interactive quiz?
Where can I learn more about Kaltura?
Kaltura provides a wealth of online information that you can consult if you want to learn more about its features. You can also meet with one of CTEL’s learning designers if you’d like more personalized assistance.